Back pain during pregnancy
In more rare cases, back pain during pregnancy can be a symptom of a serious disease, because if you have a strong back pain during pregnancy, you need to urgently go to the doctor for consultation, likely to exclude serious illnesses and to prevent possible complications.
Causes of back pain during pregnancy
The time of occurrence of back pain in pregnancy varies from case to case: some women experience back pain in the beginning of pregnancy, others only in the middle or towards the end. Back pain during pregnancy can be caused by many factors. We list some of the most likely causes of back pain in pregnant women:
- Relaxation and softening of ligaments. The hormone relaxin, which is produced in a woman's body during pregnancy that relaxes ligaments and causes the expansion of the pelvic joints, preparing the body of the expectant mother for childbirth. Although the main goal of this phenomenon is to prepare the pelvis of a pregnant woman to the birth process, under the influence of relaxin relaxes all the other cords, in particular between the vertebrae that can cause pain in the lower back. In addition, relaxin can relax the uterine ligaments and this causes more tension in the spine and surrounding muscles.
- The displacement of the center of gravity. During pregnancy the center of gravity in a woman's body slowly moves forward, forcing the woman to change your posture: in order to ensure sustainability, a pregnant woman has to strain the lower back. Such changes in posture can also cause back pain because the back muscles have not yet mastered the new position of the body.
- The increase in body weight. As soon as the fetus, the weight of a pregnant woman increases by approximately 8-15 pounds for 9 months! In the end, legs, and lower back account for a significant load, which can also provoke back pain.
- Bad posture, prolonged stay in an upright position and improper lifting of objects can also cause or exacerbate existing back pain.
- Back pain occurring in the supine position, associated with the pressure of the uterus on the nerve plexus and blood vessels that surround the spine. This kind of pain usually occur in mid-pregnancy and increase its intensity as its development.
In certain cases, back pain during pregnancy (often in the lower back) may be associated with such diseases or complications in pregnancy: pyelonephritis, increased tone of the uterus, or premature childbirth (threatened abortion). Because you need to see a doctor and undergo special examination.
How to relieve back pain during pregnancy
Follow the posture. As soon as the fruit develops, the center of gravity in the body of a pregnant woman shifts forward. For this reason, you, without even noticing it, strain of lumbar muscles. To avoid this, it is necessary to watch your posture. For example, when you stand or walk: you need to tighten buttocks, to divert the shoulders back and lower them down, you should stand straight with a tall spine. This exercise is called "the proud position of a pregnant woman."
Stand and sit correctly. Try to constantly sit on a comfortable chair. The knees should be slightly lifted and positioned above the level of the waist (for this purpose it is necessary to substitute feet roller). Behind the back you must enclose a small small pillow, which should fill in the curve of the lower back to the muscles in this area were able to relax. Change position often and avoid long time to stand on his feet. If you have to stand and there is no way to sit down, one at a time place your feet on a small step or threshold to remove lower back strain.
Exercise. If you have back pain, are very helpful exercises that you should perform every day. Choose exercises that are not very discomfort for you, and which you can easily do. There are great exercises designed specifically for pregnant women (e.g. prenatal yoga).
Sleep on your side. It is advisable not to sleep on your back because it can enhance back pain. If you need to lie on your back, it is recommended to beneath the waist a little cushion that supports the lumbar curve of your spine. When you lie on your side, you can use a long pillow (a pillow specifically designed for pregnant women, which are then used for feeding the baby's chest), or two ordinary pillows: hold one between the knees, and the second to put under the belly. This pose will relieve tension on your spinal muscles and will help the entire body to relax.
Get plenty of rest. All the time, try to sleep well. If you suffer from insomnia, to relax in the daytime.
Properly lift objects. A well known fact that pregnant women do not lift items with more weight. However, even if you lift light objects, you need to do it in such a way as not to harm the spine. You should bend your knees and not lean forward to straighten your back. If you pick up something from the floor, definitely sit down on his haunches.
Stay in shape. Undesirable weight gain more than is recommended (no more than 15 kilograms at the end of pregnancy). Constantly exercise and daily walk. It will strengthen the muscles of the back and legs.
Wear a special belt. If the stomach is too big or you have poorly developed abdominal muscles, you can buy a special support belt, which can partially relieve the tension from the muscles of the abdomen and lower back.
Acupuncture, massage and other treatments. Back pain during pregnancy women are excellent for physiotherapy. But don't forget that they must be done by specially trained persons, and only after the permission of the doctor that you are watching. In some cases, such treatments and massages are contraindicated in pregnancy.
Medication. During pregnancy it is advisable to take painkillers or anti-inflammatory drugs that are usually prescribed to relieve back pain. Before you take any medications, be sure to check with your doctor.