Knee arthrosis: treatment and prevention
Deformation and decay of cartilage tissue is called arthrosis. The disease of the knee joint is usually degenerative chronic in nature with concomitant pain of varying severity. Often, it brings to a state of complete immobility. Knee gonarthrosis affects the female half of the population more often than the male. In addition, being overweight and having venous disease dramatically increases the risk of arthrosis. Also, many older people have this disease.
Types of gonarthrosis
Osteoarthritis of the knee joint is one of the serious diseases that immobilizes a person. Knee gonarthrosis is divided into 2 types - primary and secondary.
Primary is formed due to malfunctioning of the metabolic process in the tissue area of the joint. People of advanced age are usually affected, and the main reason is overweight, sore veins and endocrine problems. Often, the culprit is congenital damage to the skeleton, which becomes the root cause of joint disease.
As for the secondary, it appears due to trauma or a severe infectious disease. It is usually unilateral and affects only one knee.
In addition, a kind of femoropatellar arthrosis, also called "runner's knee", has appeared. This is an extremely unpleasant condition in which the contact between the patella and the thigh bone increases. It usually occurs when the knee joint moves. Femoropharmaceutical arthrosis must be eliminated as soon as the following symptoms are found:
- Pain syndrome appears under the knee pad at the time of running;
- Painful sensations accompany when walking and descending stairs.
Reasons for the appearance
Signs of arthrosis of the knee joint can appear both suddenly and quite as expected. Today, the main causes of gonarthrosis are:
- About 30% of injuries in which the cartilaginous lining in the knee joint is damaged. This includes fractures and severe dislocations of the lower leg, due to which deformation occurs, and the joint, due to the loss of its initial shape, ceases to work fully.
- Approximately 7% is incorrect load due to age. People who, in their 50s, use the same sports and intensity of loads as in 18 years. Because of this, osteoarthritis of the knee joint develops quite rapidly. To prevent this, it is necessary to draw up a special program, where the main emphasis is on smooth and calm exercises.
- Overweight - from 10% of all cases. It is for the very reason that a serious load is on the legs, with overweight, the likelihood of such a disease as gonarthrosis increases several times. Often, overweight people erase the meniscus faster than others, and when accompanied by varicose veins, the disease begins to progress instantly.
- About 5% is inflammation of the joints. Arthritis, inflammation of the articular part, in any form can cause gonarthrosis of the knee joint.
- Of all cases, 4% is a congenital defect of the weak ligamentous apparatus. A person who, without a warm-up, can take a difficult pose from yoga or sit in a twine has super-flexibility, dancers often have this property. Such a talent can become a harbinger of osteoarthritis of the knee joint.
- Approximately 20% is a metabolic failure. When a metabolic syndrome is found in a patient, it is not surprising that gonarthrosis disease may soon appear.
- Contraction of the muscles of the front of the thigh is 50%. Such a manifestation is usually the beginning of the development of the disease. This process causes the cartilage to wear off and become very thin. When completely cracked, it loses its working ability. In this case, prevention does not help and more serious intervention is required.
Grades and symptoms
Medicine distinguishes 3 clinical stages of the disease osteoarthritis of the knee joint:
- 1 degree.There is discomfort and pain after an intense load on the joint parts, for example, at the end of the working day. After resting, the pain disappears without intervention. Deviation in movement is not detected, there is no deformation.
- 2nd degree.Pathology is usually diagnosed at this stage, tangible changes appear. Patients feel pain with light exertion, and a relaxed position does not alleviate the condition. Many can not stand it and take pain relievers. Stiffness is formed in the knee area, the muscles slowly atrophy. In some cases, the initial stage of limb deformation is noticeable.
- 3rd degree.Pain syndrome worries around the clock, regardless of the load on the joint. Pain relievers usually don't work. Mobility will almost completely disappear and deformation develops. This stage often ends in disability, and treatment is possible only with the help of surgical intervention.
Grade 4 knee osteoarthritis does not occur. But, based on medical practice, the 4th radiological stage is similar to the 3rd clinical one.
Right-handed and left-handed
Arthrosis of the right knee joint has similar symptoms to the above manifestations. The only thing is that all the symptoms are associated with the right knee. If you neglect prevention and do not start treatment on time, then prolonged arthrosis will disturb the patient constantly. As a result, a person simply will not be able to live as before.
Left-sided gonarthrosis occurs on the left side of the knee joint. Often, symptoms appear in the morning, but disappear after a while. The patient, as a rule, forgets about morning sickness. Left-sided gonarthrosis makes it clear about itself with prolonged standing. If the disease began to develop, then soon the constrained movements do not allow a person to lead a normal life.
Disability with arthrosis
Knee osteoarthritis causes immobility. A patient with significant limitations in movement has the right to issue a disability. Usually, it is possible to register a group at 3 stages of the development of the disease. As an exception, you can achieve disability at stage 2, but you need to take into account the important rules for this:
- The group can be formed only with constrained movements. Even having strong pain, hardly anyone will become a disability person.
- In the case when the patient can only move with the help of crutches, he may be assigned 2 or 3 groups, since it will be problematic to achieve 1.
- The disability commission is held annually, as the group may be downgraded if improvements are seen after treatment.
- Purely in words, no one will issue you a disability, so you will have to prove it with the help of research such as arthroscopy and radiography.
In order to prove incapacity, it is necessary to keep all hospital extracts, certificates and medical history.
Pregnancy and gonarthrosis
As a rule, the expectant mother's body weight increases, and this increases the load on the knee joint. If gonarthrosis of the knee joint is still formed, then the pain will only increase. Often, both the spine and the hip region can suffer. The main symptoms of arthrosis during pregnancy:
- Pain that increases over time. It occurs in a dream, worsens by the evening and appears after a long rest;
- Extraneous noise. When moving, a crunch, creak is heard;
- The joint may be deformed.
A pregnant woman should carefully monitor her condition. A certain amount of liquid should be consumed, since edema forms due to its delay, and they contribute to an increase in body weight.
To prevent arthrosis from continuing to progress, it is recommended to resort to prevention from time to time:
- Follow proper nutrition. Do not overeat and control fluid intake;
- Gymnastics, supervised by a trainer;
- Correct daily routine. The required amount of sleep, walks;
- Eliminate possible stress and anxiety.
Interesting to know
Once upon a time, many people liked to "warm bones" in the bath, especially the elderly. And they did the right thing, because under the influence of the hot atmosphere and light whipping with a broom, not only blood circulation improves, but also the mobility and elasticity of the joints. In this case, the vessels begin to expand, which is why the flow of blood occurs in large quantities.
Thanks to a thorough blood circulation, joints and ligaments are filled with oxygen and nutrients, and this promotes healing and rapid resorption of salt deposits.
A visit to a bath has a positive effect on the human body. Periarticular edema decreases, the normal functioning of the joint is regenerated. Warming up is also very useful for bruises, sprains and dislocations.
A systematic visit to the bath contributes to:
- Rapid healing of joints and various injuries;
- Rapid disappearance of painful syndrome and joint stiffness after intense exertion;
- Recovery processes.
But still, the unequivocal answer, it is possible to warm the joints or not, the doctor will give you. Depending on the case and the individuality of the organism, the bath can have a negative effect on the organism.
Treatment according to the author's method
The method of treatment of a famous doctor is based on drug treatment and with the use of mechanical action on the joint:
- Remedial gymnastics;
- Manual therapy;
- exercise therapy;
The practicing rheumatologist believes that it is necessary to draw up a treatment program individually for each patient. Such programs usually help:
- Improve blood circulation in the area of the affected joint;
- Normalize cartilage nutrition;
- Get rid of pain;
- Strengthen the periarticular muscles;
- Reduce stress on the joint.
Knee gonarthrosis can be treated with medication, in which non-steroidal drugs with an antiphlogistic effect are used.
In addition, compresses with medications or medical bile can be used. According to the expert, they have a greater effect than various creams and ointments.
According to a rheumatologist, manual therapy is an excellent option for treatment. The joint appointment of a chondroprotector, intra-articular injections and stretching of the joints have a long-lasting result.
Effective exercises for prevention and treatment
The diagnosis of gonarthrosis should not force the patient to give up. Do the following exercises to help relieve your knees.
- "Bicycle". Lying on your back, raise your legs up and imitate cycling with your legs. Perform 1 minute.
- "Scissors". Starting position on the back. Raised legs are crossed among themselves and spread apart. Imitation of scissors. 15 times.
- Lying on your back, alternately draw your legs to the body, while gently bending at the knee. If it works out without difficulty, you can raise the limbs off the floor. 10 reps for each leg.
- Lying on your side, bend your leg, which is on the floor, at the knee. The other is brought to the stomach and then back. Roll over and do the same with the other leg. Repeat 10 times on each leg.
Exercise, use prophylaxis, treat the disease on time, and be sure to get tested to rule out the disease.