How and how to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home: exercise therapy, self-massage and traditional medicine
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis at home is of interest to many people. According to statistics, the pathological process in the cervical spine is in second place in terms of distribution after lesions of the lumbosacral region.
The danger of the disease lies in the defeat of various elements: intervertebral discs, cervical vertebrae, nerve endings in the spinal cord. With cervical osteochondrosis, patients often have a headache. The reason is poor supply of oxygen and nutrients to the brain due to problems with the spinal artery. Recommendations of doctors for everyone who wants to cure cervical osteochondrosis.
Reasons for the development of pathology
The cervical spine is constantly under stress, negative factors provoke muscle spasm, blood supply is disrupted, degenerative changes in the vertebrae and cartilage develop. Gradually, the condition of the cervical intervertebral discs deteriorates, their structure is disrupted, and damage to small joints between adjacent vertebrae is noted.
Under excessive load, the bony bodies of the vertebrae grow. The elasticity of the spinal column gradually decreases, pain appears, limitation of mobility, problems with the mobility of the shoulder girdle.
Osteochondrosis in the neck area is provoked by the following factors:
- high physical activity;
- lack of movement;
- "sedentary" nature of professional activity (office workers, drivers);
- hereditary predisposition;
- scoliosis, poor posture;
- frequent tension in the muscles of the back and neck;
- congenital pathologies of the cervical spine;
- weak back and neck muscles;
- frequent stress;
- spinal injuries;
- endocrine pathologies;
- extra pounds.
Signs and Symptoms
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine develops over a long period. Attention to the signals of the body, the patient may suspect that something was wrong, seek medical help in time.
The main symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis:
- frequent headaches;
- dizziness, nausea;
- blood pressure problems;
- unsteadiness of gait;
- irritation, sleep problems, tearfulness;
- impaired mobility of the shoulder girdle, a feeling of numbness in the upper limbs and shoulders;
- "flies" appear before the eyes, a sudden attack of weakness is often felt;
- soreness in the neck. During seizures, pain often radiates to the jaw and teeth.
If you detect signs of osteochondrosis, contact your vertebrologist or neurologist. The doctor will prescribe an in-depth examination, find out the cause of the pain.
How to treat cervical osteochondrosis? For successful therapy, the doctor will offer a technique that combines physiotherapy, acupuncture, medication, exercise therapy, massage. An obligatory component is home treatment: folk methods, an iplikator, self-massage, exercise therapy complex, relaxation, local application of pharmacy gels and ointments.
Patient achieves good results with strict adherence to the instructions, careful attention to the doctor's advice. Self-massage saves finances, the use of herbal decoctions and tinctures instead of some drugs reduces the negative effect of medications on various organs.
Home treatment (like hospital therapy) has specific goals:
- relieve the patient from pain syndrome;
- improve the blood supply to the brain;
- normalize sleep;
- remove anxiety and irritability;
- stop the numbness of the shoulder girdle area;
- improve the innervation of the cervical spine and adjacent areas.
Complex exercise therapy
Therapeutic gymnastics is a mandatory element of therapy for osteochondrosis. Exercises are shown by a doctor in a hospital or a rehabilitation center. After two or three sessions, after a complete study of the complex, the patient can easily cope with the task at home.
Gymnastics and exercises for cervical osteochondrosis:
- head rotation clockwise and counterclockwise;
- deep tilting of the head with an attempt to reach the chin;
- head tilts to the sides;
- throwing the head back;
- circular movements of the upper limbs.
Important!Exercises are carried out at a calm pace, the amplitude increases gradually. You can not make sharp jerks: you may feel dizzy, dark spots appear in front of your eyes. Involvement of the shoulder girdle is imperative: during the exercises, the muscles of the arms work, the cervical spine relaxes.
- gentle pressure on the neck area prevents salt deposition, improves blood circulation;
- massage accelerates the delivery of nutrients and oxygen to tissues;
- painful sensations decrease;
- during the procedure, the muscles of the neck and shoulder girdle are relaxed;
- metabolic processes in the tissues of the cervical spine return to normal;
- blood pressure is often reduced to optimal levels.
The masseur will come to the house and conduct a session, but the procedure is quite expensive, a long course of massage for osteochondrosis is not cheap. Patients can self-massage without financial cost with the same benefit.
The task is to study massage techniques, identify active points that must be massaged, learn about areas that should not be affected. Self-massage techniques are simple, you need to act carefully, without sudden movements.
- direction of movement - from the spine to the periphery;
- massage is carried out only with fingers, without additional devices;
- strong pressure is excluded: only soft, delicate impact;
- movements are smooth: haste, sharp pressure is unacceptable.
- muscles of the side and back of the neck;
- back of the head.
- self-massage is carried out in a sitting position;
- place one leg on the other knee, put your elbow to easily reach the back of the neck and spine;
- with the fingers of the opposite hand, reach the back of the head, back and sides of the neck;
- perform stroking, then rubbing, then kneading the muscles, finish the procedure with stroking;
- session duration - up to eight to ten minutes.
Ointments, gels, tablets, injections, and a medical patch will help to reduce the soreness of the problem area, relieve inflammation, and normalize the condition of the cartilage tissue. The use of drugs according to the instructions will complement other types of home treatment.
- anesthetic plaster reduces swelling of the cervical plexus zone, reduces pain;
- topical formulations, gels and ointments for cervical osteochondrosis;
- muscle relaxants. The drugs of this group relieve muscle spasm, reduce painful sensations;
- chondroprotectors. The drugs stop the destruction of cartilage, normalize blood circulation in the problem area, and accelerate the regeneration of damaged cartilage tissue. The drugs give a positive effect after a course lasting from 3 to 6 months;
- vitamins. The doctor prescribes vitamin and mineral complexes to improve the general condition, replenish the deficiency of nutrients. Particular attention is paid to B vitamins (injections plus tablets). Preparations with valuable components improve the condition of the nervous tissue.
Affordable, effective home acupuncture device. The needles dig into the affected area, increase blood flow, and affect biologically active zones. The patient fixes the needle massager on a belt with fasteners or a cervical roller. The duration of exposure to the problem area will be prompted by the attending physician.
Important!Before using the Ipplikator, be sure to consult with a vertebrologist and neurologist. It is important to consider contraindications (if any).
Folk remedies and recipes
With cervical osteochondrosis, treatment is carried out in all available ways. Traditional medicine recipes have earned a lot of positive reviews.
The use of home formulations will be beneficial if the patient selects effective formulations, taking into account the limitations and characteristics of the body. It is difficult to independently diagnose, find the ideal means: the help of a neuropathologist and a vertebrologist is needed.
- honey and potato compress.Rub a large tuber, combine with an equal amount of bee product, apply to the neck area, cover with a soft cloth. Apply the compress twice a week. The duration of the procedure is 45 minutes;
- paraffin applications.Good pain reliever. Melt the wax or paraffin, cool to an acceptable temperature, apply to the affected area. Do not warm up the area above the spine. Apply applications twice a week;
- turpentine plus dough.Use rye flour and water to make a not very tight cake. Before the procedure, rub the sore spot with turpentine, attach the dough, fix with cellophane and a warm scarf. Keep until you feel a slight burning sensation at the site of treatment, but no longer than a quarter of an hour. Warm up every other day;
- collection for cervical osteochondrosis.You will need a tablespoon of dandelion leaves, thyme, chamomile flowers, St. John's wort, yarrow and calendula. Take 2 tbsp. l. mixture, put in a thermos, pour in a liter of boiling water. Take the present broth daily, in a quarter of a glass before breakfast, lunch and dinner. The course of treatment is 3 weeks.
The area of the spine should not be treated with irritating compounds, it is forbidden to use unverified recipes with exposure to cold / heat. The proximity of the cervical spine to the brain requires the careful use of any formulations, including those made from natural ingredients.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine responds well to treatment in the early stages; in severe cases, surgery is performed. Minimize the effect of negative factors, dose the load, avoid sitting for a long time, do a warm-up for the back and neck. If you identify problems with the vertebrae in the cervical spine, combine a visit to the rehabilitation center with home treatment. Conduct therapy under the guidance of a vertebrologist and neuropathologist.