Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis at home
Crunching and pain when turning the neck, decreased mobility, headaches - all these are signs of cervical osteochondrosis. Relieving symptoms with analgesics does not solve the key problem, so an integrated approach must be used. Home treatment combines folk remedies, massage, exercise, and other measures.
Traditional treatment of cervical osteochondrosis includes the use of the following medications:
- pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs;
- warming ointments;
- pain relieving gels;
- vasodilator drugs.
This therapy is usually aimed at relieving symptoms.
Osteochondrosis is considered incurable, and physical activity is the only measure that helps to achieve lasting remission. The main condition for obtaining a result is regularity and consistency.
Therapeutic exercises help prevent and stop the development of osteochondrosis. Exercise accelerates blood flow in the cervical spine, which contributes to increased nutrition of all its tissues.
Important!It is not recommended to start a complex of exercises with severe pain.
Effective exercise therapy complex:
- Starting position: sitting on a chair with a straight back and neck. Slowly turn your head to the left and right shoulder (five to ten times).
- The initial position is the same, smoothly lower the head down until it touches the chest and back (ten times). Tipping the back of the head towards the back is not done, as it is harmful to the neck.
- The initial posture is the same, carry out smooth circular movements of the head to the left and right sides (three to five times).
- The initial position is the same, the neck together with the chin is moved back parallel to the floor line (ten times). The neck should not bend. Such movements are especially useful for people working at a table in a position with the head and neck tilted forward.
- Starting position: sitting at the table, one arm rests on the table with an elbow. Put the temple on the palm and press on it with your head, resisting with your hand (five to ten sets of ten seconds, a break of ten seconds).
- Starting position: sitting at a table, back and neck straight. Press the forehead on the palm, providing counter resistance with the hand (five to ten sets of ten seconds, a break of ten seconds). Exercise develops the habit of sitting properly at the table.
- Starting position: standing, back straight, arms along the body. Raise your shoulders high and hold for ten seconds, then gently lower (ten approaches). This perfectly relaxes the neck muscles while stretching them.
- Starting position: lying on your stomach, arms along the body. Slowly raise and lower your head, resting for twenty seconds (ten times).
During classes, you should not make sudden movements in the cervical spine. Also, unpleasant sensations and overwork should not be allowed. The given complex of physiotherapy exercises for osteochondrosis should be performed daily.
A plastic water bottle can serve as an excellent equipment for cervical gymnastics for osteochondrosis.
You need to choose a cylindrical eggplant of 1. 5 liters without protrusions and ribs. To keep it soft, it is filled with 80% water.
Lie on your back, put your hands along the body, place the bottle under the neck. Do the following exercises:
- head movements forward / backward (5 times);
- unhurried turns of the head left / right (5 times);
- describing circles with the head to the right and left sides (5 times).
Neck workouts with a bottle can be alternated with other gymnastics.
Massage is the main method of home treatment for osteochondrosis. It relieves spasm, increases blood flow and lymph drainage, reducing inflammation. Regular use restores neck mobility.
With osteochondrosis of the neck, self-massage has proven itself well, since it is the most convenient area for massage.
Important!You should never put pressure on the spine itself.
Self-massage techniques for osteochondrosis of the neck:
- Sit on a chair or lie on the floor, massage the neck muscles and the back of the head with bundles of fingers. Then work out the area above and between the shoulder blades. For headaches, a gentle massage of the temporal zone above the ear and up to the back of the head helps.
- Sit at the table, the elbow of the left hand rests on the table, and the index finger of the other hand probes the muscles on the right side of the neck. Painful areas need to be kneaded well in a circular motion. Repeat the same on the reverse side, then proceed to massage the cervical tubercle.
- With the edge of your palm, walk along the neck from the bottom up, then to the shoulders. Change your hand.
- Pinch the muscles of the neck-collar zone.
Begin and end the procedure with gentle stroking of the neck and shoulders.
Rolling a rolling pin
Previously, a conventional rolling pin was used to treat neck pain. You need to lie down on it and roll it under you. But this method is unacceptable during exacerbations of osteochondrosis.
Massage with honey
Heat a little honey in a water bath (no more than 40 ° C), apply to the neck and collar area. Then you need to "glue" the palm to the body and tear it off. Massage is carried out until signs of skin redness appear (no more than 10 minutes). After that, the remnants of honey and dirt must be washed off, and the neck must be wrapped.
Repeat the procedure 2 times a week. Such massage is contraindicated for hypertensive patients.
The arsenal of folk remedies used in the treatment of osteochondrosis includes compresses, rubbing, ointments, herbal decoctions and tinctures. They are inexpensive, effective, and have fewer side effects.
Before using the above recipes, a doctor's consultation is needed.
Compresses warm up, relieve tension in the muscles of the neck and shoulders, significantly alleviating pain in osteochondrosis.
Idea!Instead of cellophane, burdock or cabbage leaves are suitable for tightness.
Variations of compresses for the treatment of osteochondrosis:
- Grate raw potatoes and combine with liquid honey in equal proportions. Apply to the neck, cover with plastic and wrap. Keep for about 1-2 hours.
- Steamed 1 tablespoon of finely chopped burdock leaves with 1 cup boiling water. When the broth has cooled to an acceptable hot temperature, strain and moisten a gauze (natural fabric) folded in several layers in it. Keep the compress for 20 minutes, then remove and wrap your neck in a scarf.
- 1 tablespoon of a mixture of crushed herbs (dandelion, burdock leaves and St. John's wort) pour 1 cup boiling water and place in a water bath for 15 minutes. When the broth has cooled to about 60 ° C, strain and apply a compress. Keep for about half an hour.
- Attach a piece of fabric soaked in kerosene to the neck and cover with cellophane, insulating it with a layer of cotton wool on top. The exposure time is one hour.
- Bake a cake made of oatmeal, rye or whole wheat flour and place it on a painful spot in a pleasant hot state, cover it on top and keep it cool. This manipulation can be carried out once or twice a day.
- Alcohol compress: combine fifty grams of aloe juice with four tablespoons of honey and one hundred milliliters of vodka (alcohol). After thirty minutes, the mixture is ready for use. Apply the composition to a damp cloth and apply to the neck overnight. The given amount is enough for a full course of treatment.
Compresses work especially well when osteochondrosis worsens.
Rubbing is convenient in that you do not need to sit for a long time with cellophane and a wrapped neck. Rubbing increases blood circulation, and the alcohol in the composition allows the ingredients to penetrate the skin faster.
Rubbing for disease:
- one glass of grated radish, half a glass of honey, two tablespoons of salt (coarse), pour 250 milliliters of vodka. With this tincture, you need to rub the affected area twice a day for a week. This remedy can be taken orally one teaspoon on an empty stomach twice a day.
- Combine in equal proportions ground mustard, vodka, camphor alcohol and proteins from three eggs. Rub this composition overnight. It helps well with chronic osteochondrosis.
- Mix 300 ml of alcohol, 10 ml of iodine and camphor alcohol each. This recipe is used to relieve pain.
- Combine the berries of the red elderberry with alcohol (1: 4) and leave for a week, strain. The composition is also suitable for compresses, but for this purpose it must be diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 4.
Important!After rubbing, wrap the heated neck area with a warm soft scarf (made of fleece).
Alcohol compositions should not be used for external skin lesions.
Ointments made from natural ingredients are inexpensive and easy to use. The viscous consistency helps the composition stay on the skin longer.
Ointments for treatment:
- Mix in equal proportions softened butter, ground ginger root and a head of garlic. This composition relieves pain in the back of the head and shoulders.
- Dissolve 10 grams of mummy in 1 tbsp. spoon of warm water and mix with liquid honey. For ease of use, the ointment should be taken with a teaspoon heated over a fire. Painful areas are lubricated and massaged for about 5 minutes, then the application is repeated and rubbed for another 1-2 minutes. After the procedure, cover the neck with a layer of cotton wool, polyethylene and a warm scarf.
- 1 tbsp. combine a spoonful of chopped hop cones in equal proportions with softened butter. Rub into the skin 1-2 times a day.
- 2-3 st. tablespoons of chopped oregano (oregano) pour 500 ml of lean or olive oil, soak in a dark place for about 10 hours, squeeze and rub the sore areas.
By applying the ointment, you can lightly massage the neck area.
External methods of treatment can be supplemented with the use of useful infusions and decoctions inside. Many of them have general tonic properties, are rich in vitamins and affect the entire body as a whole.
Medicinal compositions for oral administration with osteochondrosis:
- Pour 2 teaspoons of chopped parsley roots with 2 cups of boiling water and simmer over low heat for about an hour, drain. Take 1 tbsp. spoon in the morning and evening before meals.
- Chop dill and parsley seeds and leave in a water bath for 15-20 minutes. Take the resulting broth 1 teaspoon in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Sprinkle fresh pine buds (up to 2 cm) with sugar (or honey) in a 2: 1 ratio. Place the container in a dark, cool place for 2-3 weeks, until a dark syrup forms. It is taken 1 tablespoon 3 times a day.
- Twist 3 lemons in a meat grinder, put 4 heads of garlic (whole), pour 1. 5 liters of hot (60 ° C) water and leave for a day. Take 100 grams of infusion on an empty stomach.
- Grind pine nuts with shells, pour vodka and remove to a dark place. After 7 days, strain the tincture and take 1 tablespoon a day.
The use of decoctions and tinctures accelerates the process of getting out of the acute stage of osteochondrosis. Pine syrup is especially recommended during this period. It has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
Traditional treatment can be supplemented with water treatments, warming up, a visit to the sauna or bath.
Cold and hot shower
A contrast shower helps to significantly improve the condition with osteochondrosis - pouring cool and warm water alternately on the cervical zone.
For pain, you can take baths with decoctions of calamus root, birch buds, chamomile, motherwort. A strong broth is poured into warm water, the session time is about 20 minutes. This procedure quickly relieves pain and spasms during an exacerbation of osteochondrosis.
You should not take hot baths for hypertensive patients and people with problems of the cardiovascular system.
Sauna and bath
Bath and sauna must be included in the complex of treatment of osteochondrosis. In the steam room, the muscles relax and the clamps in the intervertebral discs go away. Before the session, you can lubricate the neck muscles with honey and wrap with a towel. It is also good to apply heated stones to this area.
You can visit the bathhouse or sauna 1-2 times a week, but outside the acute stage. Otherwise, the "steam room" will only add strength to the inflammatory process.
Heat relieves pain very well, therefore, treatment for osteochondrosis is complemented by warming up. For home use, mustard plasters, alcohol (vodka), pepper plaster or pharmacy ointments are suitable. You can use cloth bags of hot salt or sand that are applied to the neck.
The applicator is a special spike massager that treats osteochondrosis. It improves metabolic processes in a specific area, reduces pain and inflammation. The applicator is placed under the neck and rests on it, stimulating new reflex zones.
The duration of the sessions starts from 1-2 minutes and gradually increases to half an hour. The course of treatment is 2 weeks. After a break of 7 days, the course can be repeated. You cannot use such a massager for skin diseases in the neck area and a tendency to bleeding.
On sale there are various modifications of applicators for reflexology of cervical osteochondrosis.
Treatment with leeches
Hirudotherapy has proven itself as a technique for the treatment of various types of osteochondrosis. Hirudin secreted by leeches thins the blood, relieves swelling and inflammation, and normalizes the functioning of nerve cells. Hirudotherapy procedures relieve pain, reflexively relax the neck muscles and promote better penetration of drugs to their destination.
Leeches are placed on the most painful areas of the back of the neck and shoulders. The number of sessions for osteochondrosis is about 7 with breaks for several days. A second course is carried out in a month.
An integrated approach to the treatment of osteochondrosis at home allows you to achieve stable remission and restore neck mobility. Traditional and alternative medicine is not a substitute for medication prescribed by your doctor. With advanced stages of the disease, you should not self-medicate. If signs of deterioration appear, especially numbness of the limbs, dizziness or other serious ailments, you should immediately consult a doctor.