How to treat arthrosis of the hip joint
If you have degenerative changes in the cartilage tissue, the mobility of the joint will gradually decrease and the discomfort will increase. To eliminate the pathological process, the patient is prescribed a complex treatment of the hip joint.
The reasons for the development of the disease
A pathology characterized by the gradual destruction of cartilage in the hip joint is called coxarthrosis. With this ailment, the gap between the joints narrows and the bones begin to touch. You are tormented by severe pain in the thigh area.
Slowing down metabolic processes in bones and cartilage is a common problem among older men and women. With the question of how to treat arthrosis of the hip joint, people over 60 years old most often turn to the doctor, but a decrease in joint function is often detected in young people.
The following circumstances may become the cause of the onset of the disease:
- lack of physical activity;
- congenital disorders in the structure of the joint;
- excessive loads, lifting weights: people whose life is associated with hard sports are at risk of facing premature "wear" of the articular cartilage;
- injuries and fractures;
- metabolic disease;
- long-term use of hormonal drugs;
- infectious diseases;
- excess weight.
Few people know that scoliosis can be the cause of negative changes in the articular cartilage. Such a "harmless" pathology, like flat feet, creates the preconditions for the occurrence of overstrain in the joint.
Symptoms of arthrosis of the hip joint
What ailments can indicate existing coxarthrosis (deforming arthrosis):
- hip pain;
- soreness in the groin and knees;
- crunching and clicking: unpleasant sounds annoy you while driving;
- stiffness in the sore joint, which appears every time after prolonged immobility (for example, after sleep) - usually the joint takes 20-40 minutes to resume movement;
In the later stages of the development of the disease, a person has an obvious symptom of joint failure: the length of the diseased leg decreases.
Elimination of degenerative changes in the joint
When deciding how to treat coxarthrosis, the orthopedist relies on the following information:
- Your age;
- the intensity of pain;
- the nature of changes in the structure of the joint;
- if you have other ailments (diabetes, asthma).
The more significant the damage to the joint, the more time and effort it will take to restore its "performance". In total, there are 3 stages of pathology.
If the articular cartilage has undergone minor degenerative changes, pain relief ointments and exercises can help you. To eliminate advanced arthrosis (coxarthrosis), treatment should include at least 3 restorative strategies: for the elderly, intra-articular injections, massage and magnetotherapy are prescribed.
First degree: how it all begins
The first degree of the disease manifests itself as follows:
- the hip hurts in the morning: the feeling of stiffness in the joint disappears every time after a warm-up;
- minor pain sensations occur after running and lifting weights;
- meteosensitivity appears in the problem joint;
- X-rays may show thinning of the cartilage covering the head of the femur.
Second degree: increased discomfort
Signs of the second stage of articular pathology:
- severe soreness in the thigh;
- discomfort in the knee;
- pain can appear not only during charging, but also at rest;
- joint mobility is significantly reduced;
- crunching is often heard;
- it is difficult for the patient to move the leg to the side.
Computed tomography will show the following manifestations of the disease:
- the joint space is reduced by 30% compared to the normal width;
- the cartilage is severely thinned;
- there are bone growths on the articular surfaces;
- the head of the femur is displaced upward;
- an inflammatory process develops in the nearby soft tissues.
3 degree deforming arthrosis
If a person does not go to doctors for a long time, the disease continues to progress. What's going on with you:
- excruciating pain haunts day and night;
- the joint is almost immobile;
- the patient is severely lame, because he has a skewed pelvis: from the side of the problem joint, the leg becomes shorter than the healthy one;
- on the affected side, the gluteal and femoral muscles atrophied.
Some patients are unable to walk without a cane. Surveys will show you the following changes:
- thickening of the femoral neck;
- growths on the surfaces of the joint;
- deformed head of the femur;
- the joint space is almost absent.
Against the background of severe pain and decreased physical activity, people experience insomnia, a feeling of depression. It is difficult to unequivocally answer the question of whether arthrosis of the hip joint is treated in the later stages. One thing can be said: with the help of conservative methods of therapy, it will not be possible to completely remove the manifestations of pathology. A surgical method to correct the defect is the only way to a complete cure.
Joint problems are dealt with by orthopedists and surgeons. After examining you and listening to your complaints, the specialist will understand what ailment is preventing you from living. To decide how to treat hip arthrosis, your doctor will send you for tests. Diagnostic measures that the patient may need:
- X-ray: in the picture, the doctor will see the affected joint in detail, he will be able to understand how significant the narrowing of the joint space is, whether there are growths on the articular surfaces;
- ultrasound diagnostics: with the help of ultrasound, dystrophic changes in the ligaments of the joint can be detected;
- CT scan;
- magnetic resonance imaging: the examination method allows you to examine the structure of the joint to the smallest detail.
Treatment options for hip arthrosis
After the diagnosis, the doctor will understand whether it is possible to eliminate the ailment using anti-inflammatory ointments and massage, or if you need a more radical effect on the sore joint. There are 8 treatment options for the hip joint.
- Physiotherapy. The goal is to strengthen your muscles and ligaments.
- Manual therapy. Massage helps to increase blood flow in problem areas, it removes muscle spasms.
- Medical treatment of arthrosis of the hip joint. To prevent the destruction of cartilage, patients are prescribed chondroprotectors in tablets. To relieve swelling and soreness in the problem area, you will be prescribed an ointment or cream.
- Physiotherapy methods. They are unlikely to help completely get rid of coxarthrosis. Ozone and laser treatments are used as an adjunct to pills and injections.
- Sanatorium treatment of coxarthrosis. In the sanatoriums you will attend hydromassage sessions, use healing mud.
- Stretching the joint using a special apparatus.
- Surgical intervention. If you have a severely deformed head of the femur, surgery will help to cope with the problem. Some patients need endoprosthetics (replacement of a joint with a prosthesis). An osteotomy is used to relieve stress on the joint. During the procedure, the femur is broken and then fused at a different angle.
Give up the idea of self-prescribing medications or procedures to relieve pain. Let the doctor do it.
More about medicines
7 types of drugs are used for arthrosis of the hip joint.
- Anti-inflammatory drugsthat do not contain steroid components. They have a temporary effect. The main task of drugs in this group is to relieve pain and reduce the inflammatory process in the joint.
- Ointments and gels. . . In the treatment of coxarthrosis of the 1st degree, ointments with anesthetic and decongestant effects perform a positive function. Ointment therapy is 2 weeks. Next, you need to consult with an orthopedist for further treatment.
- Steroids. . . They are usually given by injection. Therapy scheme: the patient is given one injection per week. Treatment course: 5-6 procedures. With the help of intra-articular injections, you can get rid of pain and inflammation.
- Chondroprotectors in capsules. . . To make the treatment of coxarthrosis without surgery possible, it is necessary to restore the functions of the joint, to stop the process of destruction of cartilage. Cartilage nourishing drugs will cope with this task. Medicines that restore cartilage tissue are available in 3 forms: capsules, injections and sachets. It is necessary to take drugs 3 times a day with meals. The course of treatment lasts 60 days. Then a break is taken (2 months). After this pause, the treatment course must be repeated.
- Chondroprotectors in injections. . . The first dose of the drug is 0. 25 ml. Then the drug is injected in 1 ml. No more than 3 injections are given per week. Six injections will be enough to make you feel better. The course of treatment is 6 weeks. Some drugs are injected directly into the joint. The daily dose of the drug is 1-2 ml. You will get 1 shot every 3 days. The course of treatment is 5 injections.
- Muscle relaxants.Treatment of coxarthrosis (arthrosis of the hip joint) will not be successful without the elimination of muscle spasm. Muscle relaxants remove muscle spasms and activate blood circulation in the ligaments and cartilage tissue. The duration of the course depends on the intensity of the spasm in the muscle tissues.
- Hyaluronic acid injectionsare prescribed in addition to pills for arthrosis of the hip joint. This substance is the main component of the intra-articular fluid. Hyaluronic acid injections make the fluid inside the joint thicker and more viscous. As a result, the inflammatory process passes, and the cartilage is restored. For this conservative therapy to bring you relief, you will need 4-5 injections. The interval between injections is 5 days.
Massage for coxarthrosis
If examinations have revealed that you have coxarthrosis, the treatment should be supplemented with massage procedures.
The healing effect of manual therapy consists in passive work with problematic ligaments, spasmodic muscles and joints. Rubbing, stroking, and pressing with a chiropractor helps increase blood flow to the cartilage.
If, after the massage, the pain in the hip has intensified, you should abandon the procedures for a while.
There are 3 options for physiotherapy treatment of deforming arthrosis of the hip joint.
- Ozone therapy.Exposure to the ozone-oxygen mixture promotes the growth of cartilage tissue.
- Electrophoresis.This method of treating coxarthrosis of the 2nd degree combined the drug effect on the affected area and the action of a direct current of low strength. Under the influence of a special device, the anti-inflammatory drug (gel) penetrates the joint through the skin. To reduce the manifestations of the disease, you will need 20-30 procedures.
- Shock wave therapy.The principle of treatment: under the influence of sound waves, blood circulation in the ligaments and muscles is increased.
Gymnastics and special exercises
If a person is debilitated by arthrosis of the hip joint, treatment should include a competent load. With the help of gymnastics, motor activity in the joint is improved, metabolic processes in cartilaginous and muscle tissue are improved.
Examples of exercises:
- lie on a flat surface and bend your knees, resting your feet on the floor, try to raise your pelvis as high as possible;
- take a lying position, lift your right leg to a right angle and bend it, then perform similar movements with your left leg - all manipulations should be repeated at least 10 times;
- lie on your stomach: take your right leg back and hold it for 10-30 seconds (as long as you can), lower the limb and repeat the same movements with your left leg.
Effective treatment of coxarthrosis largely depends on your persistence and readiness to give up old habits that are harmful to health. When engaging in recovery procedures, protect yourself from drafts, wear comfortable shoes. If in the process of performing the manipulations you have a sharp pain in your thigh, take a break and return to charging in 10-30 minutes.
Traditional methods of treating arthrosis of the hip joint
Do not think that the modern treatment of coxarthrosis excludes the use of folk "tricks". In the early stages of the disease, you can use the "grandmother's" recipes.
- Cabbage leaf compress.You need to take a cabbage leaf and grease it with a little honey (1 tsp will be enough). Apply this compress to your thigh. Tie the sheet with a plastic bag on top. In this form, you must sit or lie down for at least 2 hours.
- Homemade perestroika cream.Buy 200 g of white perestroot at the market or at the pharmacy. Grind the rhizomes with a meat grinder. Mix vegetable raw materials with 400 g of pork fat. Cook this "porridge" for 7 minutes over low heat. The cream is rubbed into the skin of the thigh before going to bed. The duration of the course should be 15-20 days.
- Tincture of lilac.To recede the arthrosis of the hip joint, alternative treatment offers another way: a tincture of lilac flowers. In the spring, you will need to collect 50 g of plant materials. Pour 400 ml of vodka over the fragrant flowers. Move the jar with the contents to a cool place. After 10 days, the tincture will be ready for use. Strain the tincture through cheesecloth. You need to drink it 20 minutes before meals. For 1 reception, it is not recommended to use more than 50 drops of the drug.
Biological and mechanical therapy
If hip arthrosis pesters you, leech therapy (hirudotherapy) will relieve you of swelling and sharp pain in the thigh area. This biological option for eliminating joint diseases is suitable for people of any age. The principle of hirudotherapy:
- sucking on the body, the leech injects special enzymes into the human blood;
- under the influence of active substances, tissue elasticity increases;
- the inflammatory process in the joint is eliminated;
- the pain goes away.
During one session, the doctor uses 3-5 leeches. After the third procedure, your well-being may deteriorate for a short time. Relief will come after 5-6 hirudotherapy sessions. In total, you will need 5-8 procedures. The interval between sessions can vary from 2 to 5 days. To achieve a significant increase in the motor activity of the joint without surgery, apply mechanical methods of influence. The main method is to stretch the joint.
Traction (traction of the affected joint) is performed using a special apparatus. The traction procedure can also be performed by a chiropractor.
Elimination of coxarthrosis according to the author's method
If you are wondering how to cure coxarthrosis of the hip joint, the exercises of a famous doctor will be a pleasant discovery for you. The main principles of gymnastics:
- gradual increase in load;
- lack of sudden movements;
- constant dosed effect on the joint: exercise daily to feel relief.
With coxarthrosis 2, 3 degrees, treatment with movement should be carried out under the supervision of a trainer or doctor. Let's consider examples of exercises in more detail:
- Sit on the floor. Legs need to be brought together. Bend forward. Grabbing your feet with your hands, hold for 30-40 seconds. Bend for at least 5 minutes.
- Lie with your back on a gym bench. Ask your assistant to attach a 1-pound weight to your leg. Bend the weighted leg at the knee as much as possible. Wrap your arms around her and try to get your knee to touch your chest. Hold this for half a minute. Repeat all manipulations, attaching the weight to the other leg.
Features of the patient's nutrition
Not a single technique will bring the desired cure for joint diseases if a person does not follow a diet. Anyone who has joint pain should stay away from fatty sour cream, lard and canned food. You need to give up salt and spices. Pastries and sweets should be consumed in small quantities. It is advisable to forget about alcoholic beverages.
Products that will benefit you:
- chicken, beef, turkey;
- beans and peas;
- low-fat cottage cheese;
- dried apricots, raisins;
- sea fish and shrimps.
An old folk way to strengthen joints is the regular use of jellied meat. An example of a day menu:
- for breakfast, eat a plate of buckwheat porridge and 150-250 g of mackerel baked in the oven - the meal can be supplemented with vegetables;
- for lunch, cook a vegetable stew with red beans and chicken leg jellied meat;
- as daily "snacks" you can use 30 g of dried apricots or 100 g of low-fat cottage cheese;
- for dinner, eat a vegetable salad and 70-80 g of boiled chicken.
Prevention of coxarthrosis
So that you do not have to be tormented by the thought of how to treat the hip joint, follow simple preventive measures:
- moderate and regular physical activity;
- refusal to carry weights;
- balanced diet.
An important condition for the well-being of human joints is the absence of obesity.
There are many treatment options for joint coxarthrosis. Tablets and ointments help stop inflammation. Shock wave therapy and exercise therapy are used to improve the blood supply to the cartilage. Not always conservative methods of therapy can stop the development of the disease (coxarthrosis of the hip joint). Surgical treatment is prescribed in the most difficult cases.